Of all the recipes I’ve posted here, the recipe for Mexican fideo gets the most views. Chile verde with pork and authentic Mexican tacos are the runners up. Fideo is a dish I grew up eating and frequently make for my own family (with tortillas, frijoles and guacamole). Oh, how I love authentic Mexican food – the stuff of my childhood.
My husband, Russ, and I recently started making something new for dinner: layered dinner bowls with healthy, whole ingredients. The possibilities are endless – Asian-inspired, Pacific Northwest-inspired and Mediterranean-inspired are a few examples.
I found this recipe for a burrito bowl in America’s Test Kitchen “Just Add Sauce” cookbook which I highly recommend. Of course, Russ and I tweaked the recipe quite a bit, as we always do. The finished product is filling and filled with nutritious ingredients.
- 1 1/2 long grain brown rice, water as directed on package
- 6 T olive oil
- 3 T lime juice,
- 2 t ground cumin,
- 1 t ground coriander
- 1/2 t salt, pepper to taste
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow/sweet onion, diced1 t diced garlic2 cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 t ground cumin
ROASTED CORN AND POBLANO PEPPERS
- 3 ears fresh corn
- 1 large can diced mild green chilis
- 1 C sour cream
- 1 fresh avocado
- 1 T crushed garlic or 1/2 t garlic powder
- juice of 3 limes
- 1 c thoroughly rinsed/cleaned, chopped fresh cilantro (leave it out if you don’t like the taste)
- 1 t ground cumin
- salt, pepper to taste
CONDIMENTS – CHOOSE ANY OR ALL THAT YOU LIKE
- prepared red or green Mexican salsa
- halved cherry tomatoes
- shredded Mexican cheese
- diced green onions
- wedges of fresh lime
- chopped cilantro (thoroughly washed to remove dirt)
- Cook the brown rice as instructed on the package.
- While the rice is cooking, whisk oil, lime juice and spices together.
- Drizzle liquid ingredients over cooked rice, fluff with a fork to mix in; set aside. Do not put a lid on the rice at this stage or it will continue to cook and get mushy.
- Coat the bottom of a medium-sized skillet or pot with olive oil and heat on medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion and garlic and stir until translucent.
- Add beans, chicken broth and spices. Stir to combine.
- Cover and turn off.
CORN & GREEN CHILI:
- Put oven rack on 2nd shelf from the top. Set oven to broil setting.
- Remove husk and strings, wash, dry, set side by side on cookie sheet.
- Put cookie sheet under broiler and watch carefully.
- When corn kernels turn golden/brown/blackish, rotate corn using long tongs. Continue until all sides of the corn are roasted.
- Set aside until cooled.
- When cooled, use sharp paring knife to cut kernels off each cob. (short video included with tips for doing this)
- Stir corn and green chilis together in bowl.
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth adding salt & pepper to taste. (If you dislike cilantro, you can leave it out.)
ASSEMBLE THE BOWLS TO YOUR LIKING & EAT!
- brown rice
- black beans
- avocado dressing
- optional condiments as desired