So pleased to have met members of Laredo Public Library’s Teen Advisory Board at the event held on July 11, 2017. I had a chance to speak with some of them, all of whom had completed reading the book or were part way through. Here are some of the comments I heard when I asked, “What was your overall impression of the book?”
- It represents my culture.
- It makes me think about what some of my ancestors had to go through when they came to the US.
- It describes some of the things we know about, but people don’t usually talk about (discrimination against immigrants).
- I like that the main character is a female and a Latina.
- I don’t normally read this kind of book (historical fiction), but I loved this one!
- My favorite scene was the Town Hall meeting (note: that’s one of my favorite scenes, too).
The Teen Advisory Board is having a book talk on July 20 to discuss the novel. I look forward to hearing how it goes. Thanks to Renee LaPerriere, Librarian for the Joe A. Guerra Public Library’s Luciano Guajardo Historical Collection for arranging the event.
OTHER NEWS – Evangelina Takes Flight was recently named a Junior Library Guild Selection – a huge honor!